Monday 10 August 2015

The Steampunk Pilot: Photobashing

About a month a go I was really into concepting characters. It's just impressive to see not just one really well rendered and well designed boot but a whole array of other props to go with it which is essentially the rest of the character.

The design started out as a quick and dirty photobash. I ran over to Pinterest, bashed 'steampunk' into my keyboard and looked for something as a base to work with. Some of the images I chose are below. I chose the images based on design, whether they would fit what I'm trying to make, and also if they would be good to use as a base to paint over like the model on the catwalk below.








First off, I put down my base, my frame, whatever you want to call it. This way I already have a face and a skeleton to work off. I haven't the slightest idea as to why the background is pink but it really doesn't matter. Make it any colour you want.




I chopped off that model's legs that you see in my ref board. Straight away you'll see the perspective is off because of the legs. The horizon line is really high for the model's legs which makes no sense with the forward facing body. Doesn't matter yet, I'm just trying to put the design down.




Chopping bits of other photos in; Belts, trinkets, odds and ends that sort of thing. I already started painting into the background subconsciously.



Rolling with the background. A dark background always looks good on a character, makes them pop. You'll see the lighter patch at the bottom- I've already put the horizon line where I want it. Now the legs look well dodgy. 



I move the horizon line up to match the legs better.



I go over everything to make sure you can see it, it has the right definition ect. I'm crossing the Ts and dotting the Is.


I take a red leather coat and place either side over each shoulder. I'm still polishing everything as I go.


I cut off her legs and paint some new ones that work better with the perspective.



Of course now I have to change the horizon line again to match the legs. I also changed the lighting with brightness/contrast adjustment layers.



I move the horizon line even lower and re positioned the arm to as not to break her shoulder (it was totally in the wrong place before). I spent a few minutes just mark making to make it more interesting as a painting rather than just it's design. I then realised this was pointless because I wanted to model it. I don't consider myself incredibly strong in the 3D department in contrast to my 2D work but I enjoy doing it an awful lot. The next part will be all about the model.










Thanks for reading.

Also, the Artstation link for the concept here.

No comments:

Post a Comment