Tuesday 17 November 2015

Epic

It's a curious thing. The past six weeks I've been dabbling in 3D and I have no idea why. I'm not a 3D artist, I'm a 2D artist. So it's of some surprise to me that it's taken me six weeks to crack out the pencils. The epic city project is on the agenda. The brief itself has a multitude of holes which I assume I'll have to interpret as I wish. The brief is to create no more than four semi-stylised epic cities for a third person game set in the 1700s era with a fantasy affair likened to Final Fantasy in reviews. I'd like to point out the flaws in the brief for the tutor's sake before I show what I've been working on. Semi-stylised and 2D is very vague. It could mean exaggerated forms and over the top architecture. Or it could be the way it's been painted with vibrant saturated colours. Is it it's content or how the content is portrayed. And then the 1700s oxymoron mixed with Final Fantasy just causes confusion. Final Fantasy has all these futuristic cities so the brief must be trying to convey the idea that the game these concepts are made for is a JRPG. But then it already states that the game is third person so it's not really relevant. Just, 'Make four cities' would have sufficed.

This might be able to help with understanding my thought process on the project thus far. So far I've made a 3D city in it's entirety. One of the harder things to draw is perspective. And then having to draw something from different angles without physically having it; That's really hard. So my entire first city is completely blocked out and I've been taking renders of interesting angles so I can polish them up and paint. Also, below is the initial sketch.





I have about thirty of these max renders so I'll move on to the more colourful UE4 renders.










I hope that gives a little bit of understanding to the whole layout of the city as well as what it does. How the entrance is like a river and you have to enter by boat. I'll polish a few of these up over the next couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment