Friday 11 December 2015

The Style Matrix-Final

The previous final entries for the style matrix will also be in this post in the form of links to save you the pleasure of scrolling down for a while to find them. The links take you to blogger as opposed to wix where the blog information is usually shown, so the formatting is a little weird. This post will also contain a few reflective words on all three of the projects on a whole and how they have helped influence what I will do for my final major project.

Project 1: Realist Helmeted Character.


Project 2: Stylised Shop Front.



Project 3: Epic City.


The style matrix projects are a  massive success. Not exclusively in the outcome but the projects themselves and the guidance they bring. These are the projects that help form what you want to do for your final major project, and possibly for the rest of your life. The first of my projects taught me how incredibly hard it is to make good looking character models. It just covers so many disciplines other than just art. You have to understand anatomy, materials, fabric-you have to know how to sew in some cases. Then all of the technical things like topology and UV packing. It's incredibly impressive. You basically have to understand why everything in the world looks like it does then replicate that. As a final major project direction, I don't think character art is for me. It's only recently when I've started to dabble. I'm not exactly good at it. And then the purpose of a final major project is to show off to anyone potentially hiring. There's little to no point in doing something I know nothing about. Also the character projects always seem very stale. They have in the past anyway. For final major projects people always make the cliche'd three characters and give me a degree. It all just seems very bland to me. My second project-so much fun. Hand painting textures are the bridge between 2D and 3D and it's the best thing ever. Hand painted stylised is something that's crept up on me. It's not something I've necessarily done a lot but it's something I know a lot about. I play only a handful of games but they're games that share this same art style. Even when growing up it's been a huge influence. Games like Fable, World of Warcraft. They've seeped into my brain and it's something I really enjoy. It's fresh to create because I've never made it, but not as difficult as expected because I'm accustomed to it. I am seriously considering using hand painted sylisation as a major influence on my final major project. Some sort of environment where everything is made by hand. Everything thought about individually with character and charm. It's something you don't see too often in regards to final major projects. People seem to lack creativity these days opting out for a simpler life of churning out wheelie bins all their life. Of course it's fine if you want to do that. I'm saying it isn't in my nature to want to do so. My final project, the city. It does tie in to my final major project, of course it does. If you want to make something original, you have to concept it. And the faster the production rate of concept the quicker you will make the actual project giving you more time to polish it. If I were to do an entire final major project on 2D concepting, I'd be bored by the second week. I'd lose interest and be unhappy with what I was doing. But if I concepted for a 3D project then actually made it in 3D; that's brilliant. It would alleviate the monotony of doing just one thing. And then even further down the line once you've finished modelling and unwrapping, you get to texture which is essentially just painting again. It's a loop and it's one that I enjoy. When I talk about the games I play the main event is League of Legends. The game is incredibly addictive transcending most games into it's own sport. It's crazy. And working behind this is some of the most impressive artists I've ever seen. Such brilliant art direction and technical ability. Working with these people would be a dream. I hop for my final major project I can produce something right up their alley and almost tailor it to them. Then be hired by them and live happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment