Saturday 9 July 2016

Roman Temple Breakdown

I was browsing artstation as you do and I came across some screenshots from Ryse Son of Rome. Considering I only own a PS4 I've never the means to play it due to its Xbox exclusivity. What a great looking game. It inspired my next project to create a Roman temple.



I started simply enough, modeling pillars and archways. Headed into engine and started to see how everything worked then produced a tileable floor. I really wasn't into how it looked with too much contrast and noise so I started again.



Basic block out and lighting setup.


The new marble floor. Way less things going on. Sometimes simple is better.


Textured the pillars and archways in Substance. Messed around with the post processing for lighting.


Figured I was lacking in actual assets so I produced this gold pattern ceiling and concrete slabs in Substance Designer.



While the ceiling looked nice it was wayyyy too busy again so I had no knock down the brightness to balance the values.


A little bit of the outside was created with a landscape and a few rock meshes.The floor was done in Substance Designer and blended between rocks and a material with no rough value so it looked like water puddles.


I attempted to sculpt a body for a statue. I am in no way a character artist so this was particularly difficult. I used a statue of Hercules and photoscanned turn arounds of a bodybuilder to get something somewhat decent. I failed miserably at sculpting the head and arms so I just chopped them off.


It looked decent in engine but kind of blobby or vague so I went at it again working into the details.




I had to consider light sources at some point so torches and candles were made. Also colour balancing wasn't entirely there so I figured adding some foliage would account for that.


At this point it was just a matter of building the outside up more with the reuse of the same assets and just balancing the colours and values to nothing was detracting from the focal point.


I considered cloth hanging down from the ceiling but it looked way too cluttered and messed up the focal point.


A final contrast boost later.





No comments:

Post a Comment